Friday, November 18, 2011

Skate Skiing

11-18-11

It was a gorgeous day and I rented some skate skis to go out to the ice runway. I've never actually tried skate skiing nor used the real skate skis and fancy boots. I found it to be quite fun. Definitely a hard workout, but you can go quite fast. I think it's sort of the equivalent to downhill skiing as roadbbiking is to mountain biking.
Also watched the last quarter of the broncos vs. jets game and part of the Arizona basketball game. That's one of the nice things about being here. Even though it's like I'm in a foreign country, I still get some american things like sports. And I've even on occassion stayed up late enough to watch the daily show and colber report

11-19-11

A cold snowstorm blew in today. Back to temps below zero with windchill. It snowed all day which I of course love.

After work hung out at the corner bar. I love that place b/c the old guys there, especially Bill, are just hilarious and have priceless comments.

In the evening was the Hipster popstar dance party. I don't hardly even know what a hipster is let alone how to dress as one, but Cassa helped me get outfitted for the party. Good dancing for sure

11-20-11
It snowed all night with no wind, so there was significant accumulation in the morning when I walked to Church. Deep, soft, champagne powder with bright blue skies. Made me think of skiing back home!
I talked with my mom for a couple of hours on the phone (as my roommates said, that is the longest they have ever seen me in my room and awake). After talking with her, I went out for a good ski in the fresh powder. I was signed up for a field trip to go see a plane crash out on the ice, but it got cancelled as another storm moved in, so instead I went for a hike with some friends out to hut point to watch the seals. It was gorgeous out with giant flakes gently falling (a rarity in Antarctica), but by the time we got back a raging storm was brewing. Went to the science lecture last night led by a funny swedish guy on the antifreeze and physiology of fish that allows them to live in such cold water. I got to bed pretty early and was looking forward to an 8 hour night of sleep. But one of the dryers in our building caught on fire, so we were evacuated. It was freezing sitting outside in our night clothes, but they eventually moved us into the coffee house to wait for them to get the fire out and bring us back in.

11-21-11
A slow day at work, so we spent a lot of time just chilling in the office, which is always tons of fun b/c shuttle Bill is just so hilarious, and he loves his little peanut gallery. I got sent on a special mission today: One of our vans was needing to be fixed and fixed quickly, and some lady at the vehicle maintenance place is who you have to talk to get a rush order. Bill tried and was denied, so he yelled over, "Hey Mr. Hormone, head over to the VMF with that smile of yours and tell Claudette we need that vehicle now"

No comments: