Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Corner Bar

11-3-11

I have been having a bit of an issue with my one roommate who likes to stay up til 11:30 watching shoot 'em up movies pretty loud. B/c I have the early shifts, I'm trying to go to bed by 9, which creates kind of a problem for sleeping. He said he would agree to wear headphones, but the headphones we have aren't long enough to reach from the tv to the little couch we have. I was asking around to see if someone knew of a department here that would have a headphone extension cord. They all said just ask shuttle Bill b/c he knows people and has his little mafia since he's been around for so long down here. So I asked him and sure enough he brought in some guy, and said "you didn't see this". I handed over my headphones and so we'll see what happens if he's able to do something.

Bill also invited me to the corner bar last night. It's a sort of invite only kind of place. It's in the same dorm building as me and it's these two guys who have a huge room (like an RA room in college) and have been coming down here forever. They have lots of couches, cool decorations and lights and a fridge full of beer. They also bring lots of alocohol bottles down so you can make cocktails. It's all at no charge if you get invited with the exception of if you swear, you have to put in a dollar for every swear word you say, so I would imagine they make some money as the night goes on and people drink more. It was a really cool and chill place. When I was there, it was just me, shuttle bill, and 4 other guys all shooting the breeze. A pretty funny crowd.

Went for a hike last night as well as spanish class. Met an interesting guy doing some sort of near-space high atmosphere experiments using big balloons. He's from the U of Arizona, but he has some collaborators from Johnny Hopkins.

No comments: