Sunday, November 6, 2011

11-07-11

On Sunday after church, I met up with Ginny and Anne for the oh so tasty fancy brunch and then we headed out for a ski. We did the armitage loop this time, the last of the trails, that are currently open, that I hadn't done. It's mostly out on the sea ice and takes you at it's halfway point past scott base. It's the kind of xc ski trail I figure my parents would like. Nice and flat. Saw lots of seals along the way, including 3 pups. It was pretty windy on the way out, wind at our faces, but the wind really picked up on the way back, which made it fun b/c the wind was pushing so hard it was like skiing downhill.

I attempted some work on my Florida grad school essay in the very nice library we have here and then attended the Sunday Science lecture which was given by some guy studying sea level rise and change in the ocean temperatures specifically at a glacier in greenland and the PIG (Pine island glacier) here.

Someone told me today about the Ice before Christ event that happens here. It's where you have a cocktail with ice in it that is more than 2000 years old that they have taken up from an ice core

No comments: