Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Travel Trivia!

10-19

More training today. Went out to the area where they deploy the giant balloons that they use to study the atmosphere and also back out to the airport. I also got to do some taxi driving by myself. I met a couple of scientists from Montana State (they very much proclaimed that MSU has the best wildlife grad program by far) studying the population dynamics of Weddel seals. I tried to chat them up a bit and see if I can volunteer with them, especially when they are tagging the pups. We'll see!

Had a chat with Dora (back in Idaho) during my lunch about some grad school stuff. It was nice to talk with her and she mentioned how excited she was that I had accomplished that last dream before grad school. She also told me that she and Dr. Walser were quiete excited that I would finally be going to grad school. They had been waiting for it to happen. Worked a bit more on applications tonight.

Tonight I had to choose between basketball and travel trivia. Since I figured travel trivia is my best type of trivia (and no smart phones work down here so people can't cheat by looking up things on their phones), I decided to do it. I made the right choice, b/c I was quite good at it and my team ended up winning, so we got 10 dollar gift certificates to some cheese place back in Christchurch. My trivia team was fun and I met a couple of really cool people. They asked if I was so good b/c I studied maps and books, but I told them it was all travel. Biggest shout out to a correct answer (a triple bonus question) goes to Yosh. Canyon known as the grand canyon of the pacific? Waimea canyon. Yosh made sure I hiked it when I visited Hawaii.

It has been pretty cold the last two days. Yesterday was -50F with windchill out on the ice runway. Today no wind, but -16F, which mean cool frost particles froze all around us. Dan had sweet beardcicles and Fran had pretty little frost dust form on her eyelashes and also made her hair which stuck out of her hat turn white and stick straight out. All I got was frost around my hood.

No comments: