Thursday, October 20, 2011

Party at the Kiwi Base

10-20

Did some more training for work and also did some taxi driving by myself. Today I met two scientists doing high level laser research in this special area--you need a really special permit to go there and even as the driver, we have all these procedures (no lights on, no radio) and permits we have to have. They are from CU and their multi million dollar project is funded by the NSF. They are working on these super fancy and expensive lasers to study stuff in the high high atmosphere. They work at CU, but they are all originally from China. So they liked me right away, a little bit b/c I could sing the CU fight song, but mainly b/c they thought I was so incredibly brave to travel so long by myself in China. So they invited me in to see their very fancy lab and lasers (they aren't really supposed to have visitors). So that was really cool!

I had Spanish class again tonight, and then I headed over to Scott Base (the kiwi base) to have some beers. It's American night on thursday and they let the Americans come over to drink kiwi beers and hang out at their much nicer base.

I have decided the food here is going to make me so fat, so I can't wait to get the grad stuff done so I can get to a more regular exercise schedule. Today for lunch was yummy bbq pork and beef brisket and also gyros. And dinner was a whole smorgasboard of tasty Indian.

No comments: