Friday, December 28, 2018

Merry McMurdo Christmas

12/19/18

Tonight was the waste-barn acoustic Christmas show. One of my favorite events in McM. Every year they decorate the waste barn with a theme, put in couches and seating, and it almost feels like going to a trashy (pun-intended) version of a Buell Theater show in Denver. Because my Pole flight was delayed, I made it to only half of the show, but I was very excited to have made it at all.

While at the Pole, I missed some of my other favorite Christmas traditions, but it was really cool to have the opportunity to go to the South Pole, so it was worth it. One of my other favorite events, the gingerbread house competition, Elisha still participated in. Her group made a gingerbread camper trailer, which was really cute.

12/23/18

We had to work a 7 day work week this week, which was tough and long, but it allowed us to have the real Christmas off. In the morning, Enviro and the Waste team got together for our secret santa gift exchange. The rule was we couldn't spend any money. So there were some really cool crafty gifts and also some really funny gifts.

Tonight was the big VMF (Vehicle Maintenance Facility) Christmas party. It was amazing as always! Some good finger food and really well decorated. We participated in the reindeer games competition (horse shoes and corn hole), watched the slide show of things and family that we miss over the holidays, and hung out quite a lot in the acoustic lounge where various people played Christmas and non-Christmas music. We got our picture taken with Santa and his snowcat, and of course danced the night away wearing our cool elf costumes.

12/24/18

Christmas eve started out with the dreaded obhill uphill race. The race that goes from the town to the top of ob hil on a very steep trail. I was in position to win it this year, but made the wrong choice at the very top. I was in 2nd the whole way up the trail, right behind the leader. He was actually going slower than I wanted to, but it's really hard to pass going off the trail b/c you have to go into loose scree on a pretty steep slope. So I waited until the end when I knew the trail branches. Unfortunately he chose the shorter rotue and so I went on the longer route, and he ended up being me. I ended up finishing with a time of:


After the race, we watched Home Alone and then went to Christmas dinner. In my opinion, the dinner wasn't quite as good as previous years. There were no freshies (usually they manage to bring in some salad), they had a limit on the number of truffles you could take, and they only had 1 type of meet (A roast beef), instead of the usual 3-4. But they were giving out copious amounts of crab legs and lobster tails.

After the dinner, we finished a movie and then went to hang out in one of the lounges to have old fashions, but all of a sudden I felt sick and ended up having to go back to my room. I spent the rest of the evening lying in my room vomiting and running to the toilet. 2nd straight year!

I still wasn’t feeling great, but we went to brunch and then kind of hung around all day. Went to a game night in the coffee house in the evening and then watched home alone 2 at night





Travis' dinner

elisha's dinner

Elisha's post dinner...didn't want to show travis' post-dinner in the trashbag/toilet
Start of the Race

Runners going up the ridge, me in 2nd place

top of obhill

walking down after the race



No comments: