Friday, November 30, 2018

Scavenger Hut Champions!

11/20/18
Did a field camp review of the camp at Cape Royds. We got back late and then I had a SAR practice on pulleys and mechanical advantage.

11/21/18

Did a field camp review at Lake Bonney. Got back late, but in time to make it to basketball!

11/22/18

We did crevasse rescue training for SAR. We went out on the glacier and found some actual real-life crevasses. We dropped a 180lb dummy into one of them and rescued it. We also sent each person into a crevasse with our big generator powered ice chipper, that we would use to help remove a person from a crevassen if the person had been 'corked'.  It was really cool looking into the big crevasses and going down into one. Beautiful ice. While I was down in the crevasse, a gian windstorm came up and nearly covered the crevasse back up! They said when the pulled me out, I looked like a giant sugar cookie with all the snow on me.

In the evening, Elisha and I joined Danny Gregory and his girlfriend Irene in the McM Scavenger hunt. There were clues, and we had a time limit to try and go out and find all these random weird items that are around Mac Town and then get a picture with them. Over the years, people have painted random things on buildings (ex scorpion with a saguaro) or built little metal figures that they've placed around (ex. turtles, penguin with a telescope, seal with a ball), or built other random things (ex. bird house on a telephone pole). Between the 4 of us, we had a lot of town experience and interest in the weird items around town, so we did really awesome, and ended up winning! The prize was free drinks at the bar and an Antarctic coozie.

11/23/18

I was given the morning off because of all of my late nights, so I spent the morning working on edits of my paper for Todd. In the afternoon, I volunteered with the galley to cut fruits and vegetables for the Thanksgiving dinner.

Received a care package from mom!! Yay & Thanks!



Castle Rock with Linnah


Crevasse Rescue Training




Inside a crevasse



Down in the crevasse looking up

No comments: