Saturday, October 8, 2016

Icy Lobster! Fiery Curry!

9/26/16

Marie made a vegetable pie with purple carrots that made it purple. She also made a cabbage salad, so there was lots of purple. For dessert she made brownies

9/27/16

Nate made mushroom stroganoff with a side of steak. And he made some peas and corn

9/28/16

I did the NASA bamboo forest measurement today out in -35F. Chilly!

I made lobster for dinner tonight! I made 10 lobster tails, of which I ate 5 of them since 2 of the people here don't eat seafood.  I made lobster in 3 ways. I boiled some, I baked some, and I poached some in butter (beurre monte). I also sauteed some broccoli and asparagus for the vegetarians as well as made some cheese tortellini with an olive oil/oregano/Parmesan cheese sauce like my mom used to make. Nate told me "if you weren't a dude, I'd ask you to marry me. This is delicious". And Elissa said "I feel like i'm in a 5-star restaurant. Well, if I close my eyes"

9/29/16

Elissa made nachos with the last of the (very soft) peppers and some ground turkey meat.

9/30/16
Storm went a little wild today with desserts. He made an enchilada casserole and then made sopapillas with a cinnamon sugar dip. He also made a peach cobbler with icecream. And he baked cookies

10/1
October came in with an iron fist! Very cold today. The coldest day time temps we've had. -60F with windchill during the day. If you have any skin exposed, it's gone, so you really have to cover up!

At night I cooked up a porterhouse steak. I went into the freezer trench and got out a bunch of individually wrapped pieces of meat for cooking on weekends when there is no one cooking: ahi tuna, mahi mahi, salmon, porterhouse, sirloin, rib-eye, and flatiron.

Our coldest yet tonight. -40F (which interestingly is where it equals celsius at -40C) ambient and -73F with windchill. The auroras were off the hook tonight. The best I've seen. They covered up a huge part of the sky and were dancing all over the place!

It's not super warm inside either. We keep the bighouse temperature around 66F, but it definitely can dip down to 62F when people are coming in and out. Our rooms don't have individual heat, so it stays pretty cool. Mine is mostly around 60F. Right now though, as I take a break from working on my project to update this, mine is 53F. We do have little electric heaters we can turn on if we're going to be in our rooms for a long time, which I sometimes use at night while I'm working, but it's fine while I'm sleeping b/c I like to sleep in a cold room.

As you might imagine it's super dry here being at high elevation and near the poles. The cold makes it even drier (the colder the air, the less moisture it can hold). I did fine through the summer part of the season but now the extreme dryness is starting to take effect. I've got some deep cracks on my thumbs that won't heal and are quite painful. Looking forward to the humid healing weather of Iceland!

Today for the weekly safety meeting I have a talk on health and wellness that covered such things as diet, sleep, exercise, fitness, and mental health.

10/2
I cooked up a couple of ahi tuna filets for dinner

10/3
Marie made a vegetable curry, some spicy soup, and mango sticky rice for dessert

10/4
Nate did a greek food night. He made falafels and gyros with side dishes to put on them of artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, kalimata olives, tzatziki sauce, and cottage cheese. He also made strawberry shortcake with whipcream.

10/5

I did a thai night. I made a Panang curry with potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and snap peas. I also made a yellow curry with chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, and snap peas. And lastly I made an extra spicy green curry with chicken, brocooli, cauliflower, and snap peas. All the dishes were rather spicy and I had everyone sweating by the end, which is good in this cold weather!

10/6

We've been having some really windy conditions lately. A 5 foot drift has formed just in the last couple of days outside of the greenhouse due to the winds. And at night you can feel the greenhouse shaking as you lay in bed

Elissa made chili with corn bread. She also made some sort of hot spiked cider with oranges in it that was pretty tasty.


50m swiss tower before I climbed it. All frosted up


bamboo forest. should be called bamboo orchard







we have boxes and boxes of lobster









3 types of lobster that I made



my plate...i did go up for seconds!

CAPABL laser shooting off of the MSF

Near full moon rising over the MSF


me climbing the 50-m swiss tower

me checking out the dozer that Nate was working on

d
snow splattered on our office window from the wind

sunrise sun dog





view out my window


meat i brought up from the freezer trench





Elissa climbing the tawo tower with a halo in the background

tower

Elissa working on the seismometer

windy days at Summit


curry






my 3 curries



2 comments:

Elisha Dawn said...

Wow, you're quite the chef these days, boyfriend!😉

Traveling Trav said...

don't worry it's back to Mac n'cheese when I get home!