Monday, August 25, 2014

Visa Extended! and the thrift store of your dreams

As Kenya only gives you a 3 month visa, you have to somehow extend if you want to stay longer.  For most tourists, the simple thing is to leave East Africa (Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia, and Tanzania don't count as leaving Kenya as far as visas are concerned) and then return.  This is simple enough as there are amazing things to see in Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, Congo, etc.  However, when you are working here, that's a bit difficult.  The traditional thing was to go to Nairobi to the immigration office, a process that was difficult, took forever, and was full of bureaucratic bs.  But recently, Mpala has found a "friendly" in Nyeri who makes visa extensions quite painless and quick.  I had gone before with Kirsten and Laura, and it was very easy for them.  I was expecting similar ease when Elisha and I drove to Nyeri.  We had a bit more trouble, but not much.  I still had about 10 days left on my visa, so they told me to come back when I just had a couple days to go.  Problem is, it's an over 2 hour drive to go there, so we argued that they should be able to just give it to me now.  We argued back and forth for a bit, with them spouting out some crazy prices (15,000ksh, nearly $200), but eventually I ended up with a visa extension good until mid November for free and a submitted application for my alien registration card for 2,000ksh (25 bucks) as well as black fingers from a whole lot of fingerprinting.  If I am able to get that card, it is super helpful.  For example, the main parks here cost US 80 to 90 dollars, but with that card, I am technically a resident, so the price would be 1000ksh (just over 10 bucks).  It also give you discounts at hotels (resident rates).  But even the fingerprinted application card is useful.  At the giraffe park in Nairobi, Elisha had to pay 1000ksh, but I only had to pay 200ksh.

Since we were down in the "city" it was a shopping day.  We first stopped at the equator market (curio shops) so that we could get some gifts for family members.  We then went to this open air market called Matumbo.  This is one of the places in Kenya where the huge shipments of non-purchased salvation army and thrift store good are dumped by the dumptruck load.  You can get all sorts of things, for example t-shirts ranging from 50 cents to $1.  But it's just this giant market full of all the unwanted things from thrift stores in the States and Europe.  It was basically Elisha's heaven.  She was so upset she hadn't heard about this earlier.  We've seen some pretty sweet things in Kenya, but I think this might have been her favorite

Field assistant Zachary and me


Mount Kenya



Rejected clothes in America and Europe are loved here.  Matumbo Market


Elisha's Heaven





Dr. Brett from CSU had the women at the women's village learn how to make beaded bracelets in the design of the Colorado Flag.  My favorite Kenyan bracelet thus far!

1 comment:

elisha-dawn said...

I may have to return to Kenya just for that open market;)