Monday, March 5, 2012

Tierra Del Fuego

3-5
Today I had planned to deal with baggage issues in the morning and then go for a boat ride in the morning. After I got my baggage issue sorted out (someone said they had sent it last night!) I went down to the pier, but the boat was all booked. I had planned the next day to go to Parque Nacional Tierra Del Fuego, but instead I decided to go today so I didn´t waste a day. I would have liked more time there (it was 230 but the time I got there), but sometimes you have to make do. I didn´t think the boat would be booked b-c it is sort of a swing season right now, but a big cruise ship came in so that must have done it, plus I couldn´t book easily the day before b-c everything was closed on Sunday.
So I took the shuttle out to the National Park and did a couple very nice hikes. One, the Costa Sendero (coast path) was 8km long and went along the rocky coast with gorgeous views of the mountains behind the strait. I then hiked to Lago Roca which was a pretty big lake and then I hiked along a river, checked out some beaver dams and ended at a beautiful bay that is the terminus of RT 3. Here is the sign for 17,000 something miles to Alaska. The vegetation in the park was quite unique with some unusual trees and some fall colors happening as well. There was a mountain I wanted to climb, but I just ran out of time to catch the shuttle back at 7. Oh well, there will be many mountains to climb here.
When I got back to Ushuaia I hoofed it back to the airport, picked up my bag!!! and then walked back to the hostel where I showed Lisa (from Japan) what Polenta is.

No comments: