Sunday, March 11, 2012

3/9
Took the bus to puerto natales, which is a tiny town on in a fjord on the ocean with some distant views of snowcapped peaks. I met back up with Yu-shing, the taiwanese gal I met in PA, and we took a walk around town and down to the water. My hostel offered free pisco sours and cheap pizza night at their associated bar, so we went there, along with a few other people, including a new good friend Floor from Holland, from my hostel after we attended an informational meeting on the trekking in Torres Del Paine national park

3/10 Today was a day of preparing for my backpacking trip. Went to the supermarket for food and also bought a pot for cooking. We all went around shopping together (my friends are all either doing a shorter trek or staying in Refugios...places that have bunks and food), but I had the most to get. We met a fun american couple who work in Hollywood on the computerized portion of movies and with them we made pizzas and had a lot of fun. We then went back to our hostel bar and had some tacos which were very tasty.

3/11 Normally I would have left today bc I was all ready, but I had been trying to read the weather forecast and I figured today would be a bad day (it was, it rained all day!) so I stayed here. When to church in the morning and just did some last minute things and watched a movie with hostel friends and will just hang out some more later this evening I suppose. Thinking of carbo loading tonight bc it´s really hard to take enough food to really sustain on such a long hike, especially when going by myself and no one to share carrying the tent, stove, and water purifier, and such with.

Tomorrow I leave for the trek in Torres Del Paine. I am doing what is called the O or the circuit. It is supposed to take 8 days. It can probably be done in 7, but it may take longer if the pass closes to snow or if I want to stay and wait out bad weather for a view (so pray for good weather for me!). I am bringing enough food for 10 days (my back is going to be very heavy!) and there are also a few refugios once I get into the more heavily trafficed W part of the loop where I could buy food.

No comments: