Friday, March 30, 2012

Back to Torres Del Paine

3-29

Since I will be waiting in Puerta Natales until monday night to catch my ferry to Puerto Mont,
I decided to head back into Torres Del Paine National Park to keep me occupied for a few days since there's not much to do in PN other than work on my resume for job applications and do some stuff with graduate school.

So I took the bus into Torres Del Paine and just did a short little two day backpacking trip to campamento Lago Pehoe. The walk there was further out from the Torres Del Paine massif so it afforded really nice views of the whole mountain range, especially some stunning views of the Cuernos del Paine. The hike started out by going by a very powerful waterfall and then walking past several lakes. This park really just has tons of beautiful lakes. And they are all so gorgeous. This unreal color of blue that can maybe best be described by saying the color of Angel's eyes. Eventually I got to the giant Lago Pehoe which I walked along for quite awhile. It was incredibly, incredibly windy. The rangers had said it would be a constant 40mph wind today with gusts up to 80mph. The lake looked like an ocean with huge breakers and water just blowing and ripping off the top of the waves. I was happy to see that the campsite was sheltered in some trees. The view from the campsite at Paine Grande and the Cuernos was stunning. The giant granite massif rising up over the turquoise water. I spent most of the afternoon reading and relaxing in the warmth and shelter of my tent with occasional walks out to the point, braving the wind to see the new developing views as the clouds and sun changed.

3-30
Got up early for an awesome sunrise of the mountains as they lit up over the lake. Then walked back to Lago Grey to catch the bus. Along the way I saw lots of Guanacos (llama like animals) and a patagonian fox as well.
Made it back to my favorite hostel, the erratic rock in the afternoon. I was hoping to use the next few days to really crank out some resume stuff and grad school stuff, but their computer had crashed! (I am currently using a friend's that is leaving tomorrow)

No comments: