Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Dry Valleys!

10/5/17

One of our tasks as lab managers is to go to the driest place on Earth, the McMurdo dry valleys. They are across the frozen sound from Ross Island (the Island we are on). Carolyn and I went out Lake Bonney Camp, spent the night there, and then went to F6 camp before heading home.

It was of course one of the most amazing experiences! The helicopter ride from McM to the dry valleys is unreal in its beauty as you fly over the sound, past icebergs frozen into the ice, then into the mountains and valleys of the transantarctic range with their huge glaciers and dry valleys with frozen lakes.

Bonney camp wasn’t opened yet, so when we arrived we turned on the propane heaters in the lab and set up our tents. We then worked on prepping the chem and rad labs. We finished our work around 6pm. I had a quick bite from food I had brought, and then went for a hike. One of the nice things about the dry valleys compared to McM is that you can hike wherever you please. Carolyn and I agreed on a 2am return time. If one of us wasn’t back by then, we’d call MacOps for help. So this gave me a lot of time (though I would have had more if I could!) to hike. I started out hiking up out of camp and passed by the foot of  a big glacier. Then I hiked up onto these 2 hills that nearly cut frozen lake bonney into 2. From there you can look down valley towards lake bonney and another lake and then up valley towards the rest of lake bonney, some huge peaks, and an incredibly massive glacier. Where the glacier comes into lake bonney, there is an area of red ice, named blood falls. The red color is actually caused by red bacteria in the ice. From there I hiked up to another glacier and then continued up the valley for quite a while. I eventually saw a peak that I wanted to climb. I figured being way out here, in a valley that hardly anyone goes to anyways, and then being many miles away from camp, and this being not the tallest or coolest peak, it most likely had never been climbed. So I decided to climb it. Of course I was on a time limit, so I really hustled up the peak. I was sweating a ton when I reached the summit, which sits at about 5000 feet according to my watch. I reached the summit a bit after 11pm. I named it Guyser Peak. It had impressive views all around. Magical views. I knew I had to hustle down to make it back in time, and I hadn’t realized how steeply up I had gone. It was really steep, and I had gone a long ways! It was scree the whole way up, but luckily some of it was fine enough that I could kind of ski down it. And then there were some snow gullies that I was able to glissade down. I eventually made it down to lake Bonney. By this time I had some amazing beardcicles growing from the hot steam of my breath in such cold conditions. Lake Bonney had some really beautiful blue ice. I walked out on the lake for a bit to get a better look at blood falls, but the ice, being that the lake never melts completely is really gnarly and hard to walk on. Little mounts 2 feet high and divots 2 feet down, so you’d have to walk slowly on it. I still had about 3 or 4 miles to get back to camp, but not much time left, so I went to the shore and then ran most of the way back to camp, getting in around 1:45 am. My watch said I had walked 13.5 miles and climbed 6900 vertical feet, which is quite a lot. When I got back to camp my water bottle was mostly frozen despite being next to my back and my pee bottle was completely frozen. Antarctica is completely leave no trace including packing your pee and poo out.

The views in the dry valleys are stunning. The scale is so huge it’s hard to comprehend. When something looks like it’s just a short distance away, it can be many, many miles. One of the few ways to tell scale is when you see a helicopter fly in and you see just how microscopic this big craft looks compared to the mountains and glaciers. One of the coolest things about the valleys is that they are so desolate and isolated. If you think about it, so few people make it to McMurdo. And of the McMurdo-ites so few make it to the dry valleys. They’re vast and empy, especially this time of year before camp opening. In this huge valley, it was only Carolyn, 2 carps working on opening the camps, and myself. Nothing else living! And I was definitely the only one way up the valley. The vastness and desolation is hard to describe. I imagine it’s what it feels like to be on another planet. It almost looks like being on another planet. In fact NASA uses it for robot engineering since it’s the closest thing on our planet to Mars and some of the moons in our solar system. When the strong katabatic winds (which create beautiful rock sculptures) aren’t blowing (as they weren’t on this night), the quiet is also surprising. Our world is so full of noises from life, people, civilization, running water, trees in the wind, etc. But when you get out here, the silence is complete. Add the silence to the desolation and the scale of the landscape, and you can imagine why this is one of the most amazing places on the planet.

One of the cool things about Antarctica is you can start a 13 mile climb after dinner and never hike in the dark. During my hike the sun set and then rose again. When I walked back into camp, the early morning glows were lighting up the mountains across from the lake. I was pretty tired, so I brushed my teeth, got some melted water, and the crawled into my tent and my -40F sleeping bag. I slept for a few hours before it was time to get up and have breakfast. It can be a challenge to sleep in a tent in Antarctica. The cold doesn’t bother me, but there is constant light.

Carolyn and I did some last lab prep stuff, hung out in the cool and cozy jamesway structure, walked a bit on lake bonney and then caught a helicopter to F6 camp which sits on lake fryxell. This is a very small lab, so it was quick to prep. When we finished, we had time to have lunch on the deck  of the lab and then hike across the lake to the large commonwealth glacier. On the ride home, the pilot took us on a detour to the sea-ice edge where we saw a couple large emperor penguin colonies. We looked for whales, but didn’t see any. On the way back to the island, you get incredible views of Ross Island and Erebus volcano.

-->
As it was last time, I’m sure the dry valleys will be the highlight of my year, and I’m so thankful that I got to go. It’s one of those things that will hopefully imprint in my memory forever.


Blood Falls

carps drilling holes on lake Bonney








seals and giant iceberg frozen into the sea ice














Lake Bonney Camp

Lake Bonney Camp




lake bonney camp

lake bonney jamesway



chem lab at lake bonney

my tent at lake bonney


































taylor glacier


ventifacts (rocks carved by strong winds)








taylor glacier













Blood falls and taylor glacier








arriving back to camp at lake bonney in the wee hours of the morning












in the helo






lake fryxell

lake fryxell camp




lake fryxell living space










Mt. Erebus

Open Water and Mount Erebus

Emperor Penguins!

Emperor Penguins



steaming open water


Hut Point Peninsula. You can see castle rock (the big rock on the left, that we can hike to) and ob hill (the farthest bump on the right, that we often climb.) McMurdo is in the blackish area near ob hill 

approaching McM and Ob Hill

McM on approach

hut point and scott's hut from above

Ross Island


me hanging blackout curtains




3 comments:

Gma D said...

HI TRAV...
While reading your blog about this trip.....I was actually frightened at times when thinking about the possible hazards you might come across - since you mentioned walking all alone on ice that has never thawed out full of pits and humps (and actually thinking maybe you could easily come upon huge crags - and worse yet - deep holes ↕ that could swallow up a human body.)

How's that for scary? Elisha would probably laugh at the above...she knows my imagination pretty well and sudden concerns about what could possibly happen.

Elisha Dawn said...

Glad you got to have that experience!!! xo

judy said...

I had some of the same thoughts as Grandma D. as I was reading this blog. The good news is you got back to write about it.