Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!

8/27/16
Saw my first stars tonight! I saw it around 1:30 am as I was walking back to the greenhouse after working on stats in the big house. Cool!

8/28/16

Did my usual Sunday ski. Weather wasn't too bad, so it was very nice

8/29/16

Huge windstorm today. Felt like Estes Park! Marie made brats and crispy potatoes, a yummy salad, and some coffee ice cream.

People have been talking a lot about Iceland, and it's gotten me in the mood to do some research. I really would like to spend some time there and am hoping Elisha and/or bro would like to join!

Nate made mac'n cheese and cooked some root vegetables

8/30/16

Today Elissa and I got trained on driving the Tucker snowcat. I've been wanting to drive it for a while because I love snowcats, so it was an exciting day for me. We use the tucker for search and rescues in case someone gets lost out there. It's also our vehicle to coral people in case a polar bear wanders onto base.
Tucker driving.

Today was my cooking day. I made Elisha's special bean/corn/rice chip dip and also made a large batch of tacos with the help of Elisha for the spices. And then I made some mint chocolate chip and cookies and cream icecream with LN2.

A very stressful day b/c I was worried about mom who was having surgery

8/31/16

Elissa made spaghetti for dinner today

9/1/16

Storm made meatloaf, a fancy salad, blueberry muffins, and lemon pound cake

9/2/16
Buffs whooped up on CSU!

9/3/16
Happy Birthday mom!!

Gators win their first game, and they've found a kicker!

9/4/16
Went for my usual Sunday ski, except this was the coldest one by far. I keep a waterbottle against my back in my survival pack that we have to take, and today was the first day that I returned and it had ice in it! I think it was -13F ambient an d-30F with windchill

9/5/16

Marie made chili with fresh made cornbread for dinner and cupcake-sized lava cakes for dessert.

9/6/16

Nate made Brinner (breakfast for dinner). Sourdough french toast, bacon, eggs, potatoes, and pear and berry toppings to go with the french toast

9/7/16

I made scallops in a garlic herb butter as well as roasted brussels sprouts and mushroom ravioli with either pesto or marinara sauce for the vegetarian (Marie).  I also made chocolate chip cookie dough icecream and Rocky Road icecream with the last of the LN2. I think it was a success again. I made tons of scallops and brussels sprouts (5lbs of each) but they were all gone after 2 days (we usually eat leftovers for lunch or for Saturdays and Sundays when no one cooks.

9/8/16

Elissa made some sort of black bean vegetarian burger that was pretty tasty

9/9/16

Storm made burgers with cheese and bacon inside the burger as well as a sunflower seed salad. And he baked an apple coffee cake type thing.

9/10/16

Today I taught a brief safety lesson on GPS use and how to use it in case you get lost and have no visibility.

9/12/16

Marie made a very tasty indian dish. She made a spicy chicken with garbonzo beans and potatoes and some other stuff as well as a vegetarian dish, all to be put over rice. And she also made some really amazing naan bread! For dessert she made some strange Indian dessert made out of sweet cheese that's in a ball. It wasn't too bad. Tasted a touch like chai tea.

as our fresh fruits run out, smoothies will be more of a thing

making Elisha's bean dip

Mr. Gnome helping with the bean dip


prep for mint chocolate chip ice cream and cookies and cream ice cream 

finished products of the ice creams

when making Mexican food one must enjoy a Corona style beer. Thanks to Nate for brewing this beer 

ingredients for taco mix



Tacos, the finished product. Forgot to put out the sour cream and black olives! oops!

doing NASA's bamboo forest snow accumulation measurements. Can't have much skin showing or you're inviting frostbite


22 degree and 46 degree halos complete with upper tangent arc and parhelia

Elissa working on the NOAA CATS GC

Lower Tangent Arc

frosty during my Sunday ski



the back up tucker on the berm





This is from a while ago. Amber one of the snow scientists from Dartmouth mailed the techs a bottle of nice whiskey wrapped in dresses to protect. She had one stipulation, that we wear the dresses before we could drink the whiskey. A little more difficult for me! Though Elissa wasn't happy with her dress. In the end, I only got a couple sips of the whiskey b/c it was taken to a party that I did not attend since I had the 1/2 marathon the next day



checking the fluids of the Tucker

Driving the Tucker





Mr. Gnome with the cookie dough to be used for the cookie dough icecream


lots of garlic!

Brussels sprouts and mushroom ravioli with pesto or marinara sauce

garlic, lemon, herb scallops



1 comment:

Elisha Dawn said...

Thanks for the pictures of Mr Arctic Gnome!!😉 Sounds like you're still eating well without Kathy!