Thursday, September 15, 2016

Greenlandic Auroras!

9/12
Around midnight I went outside to look at the sky. We've had such cloudy skies that we've hardly seen the stars, let alone auroras. Well, I got lucky and saw my first Aurora Borealis ever. It wasn't as spectacular as I know they can be because there was still a lot of fog blocking some of the sky and still a bit of light on the horizon, but still very cool to see. I imagine as we get more and more darkness we'll get some impressive ones. You might have to turn the screen brightness up or view in a dark room to see the aurora photos well


9/13/16

Nate made grilled salmon and also fried tempeh. He made a spicy (and yummy) ginger sauce to put on top of it. He also cooked up some frozen green vegetables and then made a NY cheesecake from scratch. Pretty impressive

9/14
I did a swiss themed night!  I made fondue. It was a bit of a challenge b/c we don't have fondue pots or sterno heaters or fondue stickers, so I just made cheese and chocolate and didn't even attempt meat. I made 3 different cheese fondues: 1. Gruyere, Jarlsberg, nutmeg, mustard, lemon. 2. Gruyere, Jarslberg, lemon, garlic 3. Gruyere, Jarlsberg, and Cheddar. For dipping I had french baguettes cut up and some pugliese bread that Kathy had baked and frozen. I also had some broccoli and cauliflower as well as apples for dipping. For the fondue sticks I just had them use skewers for kebabs. Since I didn't have sterno heaters I just would periodically heat the cheese back up on the stove. We didn't have any of the fancy dry white wines they suggested, but we did have white cooking wine, so I used that. And of course we didn't have the Swiss liqueur Kirsch to add, but that's okay, I think it all tasted quite delicious!!

I also made 3 different chocolate fondues. A milk chocolate, a dark chocolate, and a semi-sweet milk chocolate with vanilla. For dippers for the chocolate I had thawed frozen strawberries, fresh pineapple, bananas, marshmallows, dried apricots, ginger candy, and old sugar cookies that Elissa had baked.

I think it went really well! A couple of them had never had fondue before and they got a kick out of it. B/c of how our table is, it was sort of an active meal where people had to stand up and move around to get stuff.



Bighouse and Aurora Borealis


red light on top of the 50m swiss tower and the CAPABL laser shooting from the MSF roof



huge wheel of jarlsberg




Mr. Gnome could use some wine while making fondue








L to R: Marie, Storm, Nate






lunar Parhelia (Lunar sun dogs)


Solar Parhelia


1 comment:

Elisha Dawn said...

Yay for Auroras!! So cool. The pictures look good to me:)

And your fondue looked amazing! Good job!