Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Antarctic Pics


Some pics from the happenings around McMurdo.

12/3/12.  We have our first day where it reached above freezing.  It reached a balmy 33.2 F.  Today (12/4), however, it only reached up to 20 and windchill was back to below 0.  But crazy bc I hadn't seen outside temperatures rise above freezing since I left New Zealand at the end of August.  That's probably a record for me bc in Estes sometimes in December and January we'll get those chinook woods that raise the temps above freezing

The other day we had 3 of the big wig board members from the NSF visiting as well as the heads of the USAP and NSF.  I got to meet them when they visited Crary.  With my position I was also invited to this exclusive party at the chalet.  It was invite only and all the up and ups from town were invited.  It was basically the elite of McMurdo, so it was interesting for me to be there. Bev and Abe didn't come until quite late, so for most of the night I was by far the youngest one there.  It was sort of boring rubbing shoulders with the whos who around here, but the food was great, so I focused on that: fancy cheeses and cheese bakes, fresh seafood, fancy wines and beer (that you can't get here in our store or bars) and chocolate covered strawberries!




The Crary Lab Dodgeball Champion Team (Liz (Research Associate), Abe (Lab Asst), Clint (grantee), Me, Bev (lab supervisor), Eric (grantee), Laughlin (grantee))

Michael Phelps and his mermaid girlfriend...the only girl he could find faster than him in the water


Hut 10 after winter

Michael Phelps and Housing Sue

Michael Phelps with artist and writer grantee Dianna (aka Georgia) and housing Sue

start of the turkey trot

Hug with Fuelie Dan after I passed him near the finish line for 5th

Crary Lab Crew at Halloween
Thanksgiving feast

Liz and me making liquid nitrogen dry ice

Elisha and I trying Jeff's coral spawn drink

Elisha, Monica, and me pre-freezing man


grantee ice cream social

war on fun stickers

skiing from scott base


our frozen grouper


in the pressure ridges


pressure ridge tour

cape armitage ski loop trail

shuttle jerod on my touch tank tour

Steph and Elisha came for my Sunday Crary tour

Me leading the Crary Lab tour
stretcher bearing for the MCI drill
Turkey Trot 5k

Freezing Man.  Mith with his infamous 6 pack


Mourning the loss of Frosty boy, the ice cream machine, though he was brought back from the dead for a short period

Elisha running the turkey trot

Dacre and I at freezing man
Elisha and Shuttle Jerod at Freezing Man


Helping Ross core sea ice
skidoo ride out to the sea ice edge
Elisha serving up tasty drinks at the coffee house

No comments: