Friday, August 24, 2012

(S)kiwi...August Powder Day!

8-23

So bc we had a day off due to the cancelled flights, I decided to go hit up some skiing in NZ.  I have always wanted to ski in NZ and had actually hoped for this delayed flight opportunity.  So it was definitely a dream come true.

To save time bc internet is expensive here and time in a foreign country is always valuable, I am just going to paste in an email to my brother that I wrote about the skiing and it covers basically what I would have written anyways.


Hey Bro,
My flight was cancelled yesterday to Antarctica so I got to head up for some NZ skiing! I took a shuttle at the crack of dawn up to Mt. Hutt.  It was a lot of fun, and I think you would have really liked it.  It was a Colorado bluebird day, but they had gotten a lot of snow the previous week including about 7 inches overnight, so it was a powder day.  They had a huge base, at a bit over 2 meters bc this August they have had double the amount of rainfall in Christchurch than is the average.  So there was excellent coverage.  The snow was a bit sun crusted in the morning on the north facing slopes (but it is the equivalent of late February here and low elevation compared to what we are used to in the Rockies) so that it felt like april skiing in the back bowls of Vail, but the south facing slopes were sweetness with fresh tracks all day.  The mountain was pretty cool bc although there were only 4 lifts and 1 shuttle, it was set up nice so that there was tons of terrain access and it skied much bigger than you would think with that many lifts.  The other thing was that it was entirely above tree-line as the tree line in NZ with its southern latitude is quite low, so in effect, the whole ski area was like a giant bowl and everything could be skied.  The terrain was quite nice with lots of good steep stuff and some good cliffs (which I avoided bc I did not want to risk injury right before Antarctica).  They had lots of backcountry access gates and the alpine touring options were endless and some of the lines I could see that you could ski would be epic.  So much snow that all the peaks had good coverage and huge lines.  There were even some people out doing some heli-skiing.  The views from the top off in the distance were amazing and you could even see some of the huge glaciated peaks including Mt. Cook (NZ’s highest).  One of the other cool things is that the mountains are so steep that they drop straight down to sea level.  So from the mountain if you looked straight down the snow disappeared into bright green fields (of course filled with sheep) and you could even see the ocean in the distance.  It created a cool contrast: the green and the white and the blue sky.  But seriously, the mountains just looked really gnarly and full of coverage for some backcountry skiing that you would absolutely love.  Oh, and several of the kiwis were skiing in costumes although it wasn’t even a special day.
It was nice bc since it was a weekday and the mountain had a lot of terrain and steep terrain that people stayed of off, I got fresh tracks all day.  And they opened up these really cool backside chutes that hadn’t been opened in a while that I lapped quite a bit.  They ended up going lower than the base area, but you could grab a shuttle bus that went by every 15 minutes back up to the base.
I don’t think that the skiing can compare with Colorado skiing bc our snow is better and we have more varied terrain, but it was still pretty awesome.  I imagine though that there are a lot of days with nasty weather and with terrible visibility especially since there are no trees for wind protection or contrast.
And I did a total guy bros ski day.  I had to catch the shuttle at 630 in the morning as it was a 1 and a half hour drive to the ski resort (did you know that Christchurch has 18 ski areas within a 3 hour drive of the city, but this one was one of the biggest and with the best snow this year).  At that time in the morning there was no food available so all I had was a nature valley bar I found in my ski jacket.  Bc the ticket and rentals were expensive, I was using the money I get for per diem on that and not on the expensive food at the resort, so I skied non-stop without a break (partly bc of the powder day) for lunch since the food was expensive.  And btw, New Zealand doesn’t even give out free crackers and hot sauce.  Just small cups of water.  I of course skied until the last run and didn’t get back to Christchurch for dinner until after 7.  I wish I could have found a panda buffet but instead got a big thing of noodles at a malay/Singaporean restaurant and then got a 2nd meal at a thai takeaway place and finished with dessert and attempted internet for a mcsesh at mcdonalds’.  (btw, mcdonalds’s in NZ has a Lamb Burger and for breakfast as this thing called the kiwi mcbreckie which is a mcmuffin with egg, bacon, sausage, rosti (like hashbrowns), ham, tomato, and cheese…puts the American caloric breakfast to shame!)
I’ll send some pictures of the skiing your way at somepoint.  Hope the 24 hour race goes well.  Are you enjoying the pro cycling challenge?
Love ya,
Bro

No comments: