Monday, June 18, 2012

Trying to make it to Antarctica again

6-15 When i got back to La Paz and civilization, I had an emai from Bev with the Crary Lab in Antarctica that she wanted to interiew me for the assistant lab job and that Monday would work. Well phones here in La Paz arent that great (when I called Bev I could only hear 80% of what she said), so I am sure they wouldnt be good in tiny Rurrenebaque in the jungle, so I cancelled my flight with the military airline TAM that was supposed to be on Sunday and changed to Amazonas for Tuesday morning instead. The cancellation was free and the Amazonas flight is only 20 bucks more, so it's not a huge deal.




6-16

Spent the day eating some great market food and trying to find a place where phones would be better. Phones are cheap here, 7 minutes for a buck, but they are through an internet connection which is hopelessly slow here, so that makes the connection bad. Asking around I think I found some places that are not connected via internet. They are expensive. 2 minutes for a a buck twenty five, but it will be worth it if I can get the job bc I really, really want this job! I also might go to the big phone companies office on monday to call from there. They were closed today as it was Saturday, but I will try later. I am also going to try some of the other places by placing some practice calls to my mom who is vacationing in Vail.



6-17 See next blog



6-18

Moved hotels this morning to the sister one of one that Laura and I had stayed at. The one I had been staying at was pretty crappy, although dirt cheap. Problem here in La Paz is that hostels, which I usually stay at, are just crazy party hostels here. No one sleeps, lots of drugs, so I am staying in a hotel. It was nice with Laura bc we could split a room and its cost. I guess the hotel I was staying at wasnt that bad, but it had no breakfast, no hot water (its cold here and I am wanting a shave too), I dont feel too secure about leaving my stuff there while in rurrenebaque, and the kicker was all the sex I could hear going on above me and to the sides with the paper thin walls that made it hard to sleep. The place I am moving into has awesome rooms, cable tv (sometimes its nice to watch some american stuff), the sweetest breakfast ever, water that is so hot it burns and has full pressure, really cool art, and a secure place to store bags. Plus just really nice people. Not so creepy of a place as the last one. It costs 20 bucks, which is way over my budgedt, compared to the 7 of the last one, but sometimes I guess its okay to treat yourself especially after all the stress of the interview. I wish I knew someone here bc my room I am paying for has a queen bed and a twin bed. My Hong Kong friend matt got held up in Brazil, so he is coming in a few days, otherwise that would have worked out.



So anyways, after changing hotels and dropping off laundry, I did some more test calls to my mom. I went with the expensive phone, and I am glad bc the connection was good the whole time. I felt the interview went well, quite well actually. Now I just have to hope, pray, and wait that I get the job. I want it sooo bad! I was so nervous for the interview, but I think it went well, and one thing is for sure, I made the owner of the shop's day. I dropped 175 bolivianos (25 bucks) on the call. That has to go down as one of the top paid calls he's ever had.



After the interview, I felt good and went out to eat a lot. I stopped at an Almuerzo place and for 1 buck got a tasty pasta soup, chicken, some steak, and a desert. I then went to the market and got a delicious mango shake for 50 cents and then had a steak sandwich and an avocado and cheese sandwich for a total of a buck 25.



I also toured the witch's market which has all these things to cast spells, magic potions, magic stones and many other things including tiny llamas, well baby llamas that are dried, some of which I think must have died right at birth others are so so small they could only have been taken from a pregnant llama. One of the witch's I asked told me they were aborted before birth, but I am not sure if the llamas were dead or the witch's aborted them. My spanish only goes so far

No comments: