Thursday, May 17, 2012

Uruguay....negative for Giardia

5-17
Got up early, walked to the port, and took the slow ferry to Colonia de Sacramento in Uruguay across what they call the Rio de la Plata, but it seems more like a bay to me when looking at the map.

Colonia is a quaint and old town on the shores of the Rio de la Plata.  There isn't much to do other than to enjoy being away from the big city and walk along the small and narrow cobblestone streets.  Colonia was originally established by the Portuguese in the 1700s, so there are still old colonial buildings and ruins of a convent and the city gate and wall.  There's a lighthouse and the oldest church in Uruguay to check out, but not much more.  After I had walked most of the streets (it's a very small town) I grabbed a seat in the sun in the main plaza and read my book until it was time to watch the sunset over the water.

I then took the ferry back to BA and stayed up pretty late finishing my applications for Antarctica

5-18
I went to the hospital in the morning to collect my results. 

examen parasitologico de materia fecal


Examen microscopico (elementos de campo)
Examen macroscopico
Resultado negativo
Examen microscopico previo enriquecimiento
No se observan parasitos
 
Or in other words, not parasites found.  This isnt exactly the results I was hoping for.  If I was positive for giardia, then at least I would know what it is and how to treat it.  As it stands now, I still may have giardia (there are lots of false negatives with this test), I may be rid of it but just experiencing lingering symptoms from a damaged gut and changed gut flora, or I may have something else. I am feeling a little bummed bc I am not sure what to do.  It's not the funnest to keep travelling and be sick or to worry that if it is giardia its stealing all my b12 (important for nerve and neurological function, and keeping the brain young as well as giving you energy) like last time
 
This evening I have a night bus up north to Mercedes in Corrientes province.  It is supposed to arrive at 5am and from then I hope to catch a bus that same day to Colonia Carlos Peligrini to visit a park called estero del ibera which is much like the famous pampas of Brazil.  From what I understand there are not ATMs and no internet there, so you may not here from me until I get to Iguazu.

No comments: