Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Mighty Iguazu Falls

5-21
I arrived early into the tropical town of Puerto Iguazu.  I found a hostel right away and met some new friends (this hostel would turn out to be great for meeting people) at the free breakfast (Randy a colombian american and Aury a German) that we went to Iguazu Falls National Park.  At the park we also met a Canadian guy who had been in Buenos Aires for a bachelor's party. There were 3 different hiking paths that gave you different views of the falls.  The falls are absolutely amazing, especially the main area called the Devils Throat.  Tons and tons of water cascades off it dropping 200 feet or so and with such force that you cant see the bottom because of all the mist.  In certain areas on the trails, you get pretty soaked just from the mist rising up.  When I got to the viewpoint of the Devil's throat, you are right there above the falls just looking at this mass of water falling right under your nose and getting wet from the mist of the crashing water..  It takes your breath away and give you quite the rush at the same time.  There are also lots of other "small" (compared to the devils throat, but big by any other account) waterfalls around.  All in all the cascades make a giant U shape area where they fall from this very calm river hundreds of feet down a basaltic plateau.  We also took a short boat ride to an island in the river below the falls for another view of the devils throat (garganta de diablo) from below.  After we had walked all the trails, the group headed back to the town, but I decided to go one more time on the hike back to see the Devils throat, just bc it was so impressive.  On the hike there I go lucky and also saw some gorgeous toucans!  Other animals I saw in the park were tons of tame coatis (begging for food), an armadillo, an agouti(?), and some sort of river turtle.
That night I met a cool Canadian guy who had been travelling for a year as well as two awesome and bright eyed canadian kids who had just graduated from high school and were so excited to tell us all about bolivia.

5-22  Today I visited the brazillian side of the falls.  Although techinically I needed a brazillian visa (180 bucks), they overlook it if you are just going for the day.  The brazillian side has less trails, but a more panoramic view of the falls and of course tons of the hungry coatis (sort of similar to raccoons).  The cool thing is from the Brazillian side, you get really pretty rainbows that form from the mist of the waterfall.
That night, I treated myself to some dulce de leche homemade icecream.  Dulce de leche is this sweet spread that is super popular in SA and used as a spread mostly for toast.  It is very similar to caramel.  And had a fun night at the hostel with the two young canadians, Mat (from hong kong), and Laura from Indiana.  I dont tell everyone that I worked in ANtarctica or travelled through Asia, but I had told this group, and they totally thought I was the coolest person in the world.  It was funny bc they were quite serious.  Made me feel pretty good about myself.

No comments: