Sunday, September 24, 2017

Auroras and Nacreous Clouds!

9/18

Around 11pm, while I was working on my paper, I looked at the aurora forecast, and it was predicted as high activity. So I bundled up to go for a hike to look for auroras. We were spoiled in summit station b/c there was no light pollution (we had just 2 outside lights, that we could turn off if we wanted). I could even see auroras outside my window from inside my room. But to see them really well, all I had to do was step outside of the heated living module and there they were. Here, there is lots of light pollution b/c the whole station needs to be lit to keep people from getting lost, especially in storms. So you have to bundle up, walk 30 minutes and hope your walk in the cold isn't fruitless. Tonight it was definitely not! I walked out to hut point and saw a nice aurora show. After an hour of being back, I headed back to the lab to warm up. I then headed up to the Scott Base pass where I got to witness a super amazing aurora show for over an hour. I wished I could have stayed longer, but it was approaching 2am, and I needed to get to bed, not to mention staying out too long in -50F can cause frostbite on the few areas of exposed skin (bridge of the nose and around the eyes. I was super bundled up, so was very warm, but those areas are just hard to cover up

9/19

Today after work we saw nacreous clouds. These are special clouds that really shimmer. They are rare to see b/c they need to be at a certain altitude the sun has to be low on the horizon and it has to be colder than a certain temp. The best time to see them is winfly, but I had never seen them before, so it was great to finally see them!

I went to a travelogue today by a gal who used to work as a weather observer in the high canadian arctic. It was a cool talk and the wolf pictures were really cute.

On Sunday we spring forward in time (it's spring down in the southern hemisphere). Something funny is that Carolyn was wondering what has happened to all her hours she's lost due to springing forward but never falling back. She's been going to the Antarctic for 8 years now. Everytime she deploys she has to spring forward with the southern hemisphere spring and then when we redeploy, we soon have to spring forward with the northern hemsiphere spring. She hasn't fallen back in over 8 years since she hasn't had a fall in either hemisphere for that long
























No comments: