Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The North Winds Do Bloweth

7/9/16

I thought it would be cool to have some sort of theme party this weekend. I suggested it to Elissa and Hannah and they ran with it. As I mentioned, we were in North winds almost all of the week. North winds are a big pain for a lot of the people b/c of not being able to use machinery. So they went with a North wind theme. Hannah and Elissa made a special invitation and slid it under everyone's door a couple of nights ago.  They gave the option of either dressing up in costume or dressing up fancy. Since I have no fancy clothes, I went costume

I ended up dressing up as an Ozone Sonde, the weekly ozone balloon that we launch. I think it went well and everyone said I had the best costume. I even had specifics like the cathode and anode solutions (gatorade and cranberry juice) and the exactly orange taping job we do with our ozone packages. There's a little tygon tube that sticks out of the box to sample the ozone. I took some oxygen tubing and used it for my "sampling" device....drinking the whiskey we had at the party and the hard cider that we had brewed.

I was in charge of the organization; setting up the table cloths and getting out the candles and all that. We had special hours d'vours left for us from the Spanich wind sled team. Elissa and Hannah made crepes (It's a specialty of Elissa's since she went to grad school in Quebec) with 3 different savory fillings that were very yummy (things like artichokes, cheeses, walnuts, olives, and other tasty things). They also had 3 sweet fillings (blueberries, chocolate chips, and nutella) to go with whipcream. The first course they made was a carrot ginger soup and a salad.  Grey, the new manager, also added to the mix by making bacon-wrapped meatloaf and polenta.

After dinner we had a trivia night presented by Danny and Commander. Then we played some bananagrams

7/10/16

I went for a really long ski today on my day off. I skied over 13 miles. I didn't work a ton on my project and instead was more social. I talked with Bo a lot about his Vanagon as someday I want to own a camper van.

In the evening one of the scientists here, Deni (he's French) invited me out to try wind snowboarding. There wasn't tons of wind, but it was definitely fun. I'd be better and it would be cool to try on skis. He says he's even used it as a free chairlift to carry him up the mountain and then ski down.

7/11/16

Today I was housemouse, which means I help out in the kitchen (mostly with dishes and cleaning) and also clean and organize the big house. I actually enjoyed it b/c they have big speakers and you can play whatever music you like. I made a play list, and when I have good music to sort of dance to as I work, I always enjoy it. I also dressed up in a costume for house mouse, just for fun. Today was HOT! It reached up to 22F but had no wind and a strong sun. Some of the carps were working bare-chested! I went for a bike ride and indeed, I didn't need a jacket.

Dinner tonight was shrimp and a tasty blackberry tart dessert

7/12/16

Lunch today was campfire style: Burgers, Brats and s'smore bars.  Dinner was lemon chicken and really tasty bacon-wrapped dates. Dessert was a yummy chocolate moose with oreos pie


working on the ozone balloon


launching and ozone sonde dressed as an ozone sonde



Hannah's invitation for the party

dressed as an ozone sonde


the cooks

John dressed up as a polar bear

Add caption

The 3 science techs

wind boarding





1 comment:

Elisha Dawn said...

Good costume! I bet a first for Greenland;)