Monday, May 13, 2013

Galapagos!! Santa Cruz, and Floreana Isles

5-11

From Guayaquil, we flew to Baltra airport on Seymour South Island.  From Baltra we took a short ferry across the channel to Santa Cruz Island.  From there, we took the bus to Puerto Ayora.  We walked around town looking for a cheap place to stay.  We ended up finding a room (which sleeps 5) for 25 bucks total that is not really part of a hotel, but maybe a family´s extra room who owns an internet cafe/sewing shop below.  After dropping off our stuff, we walked around town a bit and ate a fresh fish lunch.

After lunch we looked into some tours and then hiked on a path to a beach with these crazy cactus trees.  The "leaves" look like prickly pear but the trunk looks like a pine, and they are 10 to 15 feet high.

After sunset we were walking on the pier when I dropped my sunglasses off the pier.  I was quite distressed and upset as the galapagos are no place to buy sunglasses, but being that we are on the equator with reflective water, good sunglasses are imperative.  So I walked into town and rented a mask and a dive light, stripped down to my skivvies (no time to go to my room to get my suit as I feared currents would take them away), and jumped off the pier to find them.  It took some time as the water was dark and murky, but luckily the water wa probably only 12 feet deep or so, so I was able to find them!!  I of course had an audience of locals watching me that night as they were probably wondering what that crazy gringo was doing.

Afterwards, we saw about 20 rays and 10 small black-tipped reef sharks, and 1 sea lion swimming in the water below the pier.

5-12

We took a boat to Floreana.  We visited a breeding area for the infamous giant galapagos tortoises, some caves used by pirates in days by-gone, and saw a cool old carved face in the rock.  At the port of floreana were lots of sea lions and marine iguanas.  We went for a snorkel from the boat and we got to swim with 11 marine turtles.  And one curious sea lion came up and swam by me a couple of times.  On the beach nearby were lots of sea lions that had some cute pups.  We arrived in the evening back to Santa Cruz where we went out for our cheap full meal of soup and rice, banana, salad, and fresh fish for 4 bucks.

No comments: