Monday, March 25, 2013

Stranded in Antarctica



2-21-13
My supposed last full day in Antarctica.  I spent it mainly cleaning up my office, packing, cleaning up my room, and bag dragging.  At night Mindy and Reinhart held a party and we made sure to finish up all our alcohol before leaving the rock.
2-22-13
I was originally scheduled to fly out today, but bad weather moved in overnight and we were weather delayed for 24hrs due to blizzard conditions.  One day delay wasn’t the end of the world because Mitch and I would still be able to road trip for a day to Kaikoura and it allowed us more time to hang out with friends.  At night we continued our Friday night movie and drinks (we scrounged some up) at the dive locker watching the prequel to the Thing (we had watched the original thing on Wednesday night when we had thought we would not have another Friday)
2-23-13
Woke up to more driving snow and another 24 hour weather delay.  This was a bummer because Mitch and I originally had 4 days planned to hang out looking at whales, swimming with dolphins, and hiking the coastal mountains near Kaikoura.  With this delay, combined with Travelocity making us fly one day earlier, we now would have no days roadtripping New Zealand.  On top of this, Elisha and I became a bit nervous about catching our flights.  We had flights back home booked for the 25th.  I was originally supposed to redeploy on the 22nd and her on the 24th.  But now with my group of people delayed until the 24th, even if my plane made it, hers might not come.
Luckily as I knew how things worked, I had packed some extra underwear and a pair of shoes into my day pack during bag drag.  During bag drag, which we did on the 21st, they take all of your bags and load them up on pallets.  If you are delayed for any reason, you do not get your bags back.  During bag drag, you must wear your extreme cold weather gear (including bunny boots) to get weighed.  People not familiar with the process were then left with only one set of clothes and only their bunny boots and windpants for all the days we were delayed.
2-24-13
We woke up to beautiful skies and high hopes that both my flight and Elisha’s flight would make it.  We went to our last Antarctic Sunday brunch.  I was on the first flight, which was going to be a Royal Air New Zealand 757 (with windows!).  Elisha was going to be on the standard C-17 Air National Guard plane (no windows).  I was excited about the prospect of having a window seat, and I played my cards right to ensure I got one.  As a former shuttle driver and still member of the shuttle family, I got the VIP seats on the new Kress vehicle, which meant I had a nice ride out to the airport as well as I would be the first one of the 91 people flying to get out.  As the first one out and the first one to board the plane, I got to pick a seat in the very back that would have access to window out both the right and left of the plane.
The flight out was amazing!  Awesome views back towards Ross Island and Mt. Erebus.  We were high enough that you could even see a bit into the crater.  Then sweet views of the glacial tongues coming out into the Ross sea and of course the stunning mountains and glaciers as we flew of Victoria land.  It was the first time I’d been on a plane going to or from Antarctica with windows, and it was truly amazing!
Upon arrival, Mitch and I hurried to get some thai food before the restaurants closed (things close up around 9:30pm in Christchurch and we arrived to the restaurant at 9:32, but the lady recognized me from my frequent visits when I was stranded in Christchurch during Winfly (probably bc of my humorous attempts and speaking Thai to her), so she served us and gave us a chance to run to find an ATM.  Mitch and I then headed out to a bar where we eventually met up with Matt, Abe Phyle,  and Carried.  Around Midnight, we heard that Elisha’s flight had arrived and that they were at their hotels.  Poor Elisha arrived so late and still had to organize her things, that she told me the next day that she only slept for 30 minutes before she had to catch her 3:30am shuttle.  I stayed up until around 1:30am, but I got more sleep bc my hotel was closer to the airport and my shuttle wasn’t arriving until 4:30am
2-25-13
Our first early morning flight was from Christchurch to Sydney.  We had beautiful sunrise views over the glaciated Southern Alps, including New Zealand’s highest, Mount Cook.  We had a layover in Sydney for several hours before the long haul flight to LA on Qantas.  I’m currently waiting in LA waiting for our connecting flight to Denver where hopefully dad will be there to pick us up on drive us on home to Estes.  Mom said her flight yesterday into Denver was delayed because of snow, and when I looked at the weather, it’s much colder in Denver than in Antarctica.  Kinda funny if you ask me.  I’m very excited to be getting home!!
It’s crazy some of the things that you take for granted when you live in the real world, but kind of shock you when you come back to the real world after being in Antarctica.  Some examples:
Children
Pets
Smells
Color                                                                                                                                               
Plants and green grass
Stars and darkness
Humidity
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Milk
Traffic
Fashion
Fast Internet
Cell Phones
Food that costs money

No comments: