Monday, July 23, 2012

Mystical, Magical Cuzco

7-15

Bus from Puno to Cusco.  Nice scenery along the way including some fancy dancing for Sunday festivals in villages along the way and a big wool market.

7-16
Do some paperwork for Lockheed and then exploe Cusco.  I have been to Cusco before with my parents, but we never really had a full day in Cusco bc we did the Inca trek, went to the amazon and our 2 free days in Cusco bro and I went mtn biking (by some ruins and salt mines) one day and paragliding another day over the sacred valley.
So it was nice to explore Cusco today.  Definitely a different experience being here on a budget on my own as compared to an American vacation with my parents.  Cusco is now full of tourists and it is crazy how many American accents I hear out there.  You hardly meet americans while traveling but they are all over here.
Cusco is a cool city.  It is the longest inhabited city in South America.  The city has cool architecture in that there is spanish colonial buildings built on top of incan rock foundations.  The streets are all cobblestone and very narrow.  As it is a city built in a valley surrounded by hills, the streets are often steep and often completely made of stairs.  Lots of the streets are pedestrian only bc they are either too narrow or steep.  They also have some very impressive large churches and fancy plazas.
I did a lot of walking around the cool narrow, cobbled streets.  I visited several churches and plazas.  Also visited some markets.  I hiked up out of the valley for some good views of cusco and the one big glaciated peak you can see in the distance.

Tomorrow I leave at 4am for my trek to Salktantay and Machu Picchu

No comments: