Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aguas Calientes

4-23

Rented a bike did a 60 or so km loop through some back dirt roads to get to lago Caburgua, a big lake with a huge sandy beach.  First, I took a road that went to the other side of Lago Villarica where there was a very quiet and peaceful black sand beach with views out towards Volcan Villarica.  After that I got back on the loop and my next stop was Ojos del Caburgua.  This was an area that had 4 waterfalls all coming into a pool from different sides.  While I was there, the sun was shining straight into the bowl shaped area with the pool and tiny gold leaves were falling off the trees and swirling all about.  They were lit up against the daker water and forest and had the appearance of little fairies flying around.  Reminded me a lot of the little fairies in the animation movie, Fern Gully, that takes place in Australia´s rainforest.

I had forgotten my lunch, so I was quite hungry and was very happy when this truck drove by with a little megaphone advertising fruits and vegetables as it drove by the farms and houses on this backroad.  I definitely made sure to wave him down and get a couple of bananas.

When I got back into town, I stopped for one of my favorite snacks, a completos, which is a hot dog in a fresh roll with tomatoes on it and smothered in an avacado paste and topped with mayonaise.  All for about 1 buck.  I love it.

4-24

I decided to stay one more day in Pucon.  It´s a nice place, and I like my hostel, plus I wanted to make it to the hotsprings.  Pucon is known as the Queenstown of South America bc it is a big adventure and adrenaline place having everything from bungy jumping to rafting to canopy zip lines to canyoning.
I think I usually like being in Chilean towns more than Argentinian towns.  Not for any huge reasons, but Chilean towns are a bit cheaper, they always have better supermarkets for cooking at the hostels, they seem less touristy and more real, and chileans speak slower, so they are easier to understand.

I spent the morning (and late into the night, partly bc the computer and internet is just sooo slow) working on resumes for Antarctica for next year and doing some other internet business.  In the afternoon, I went to Los Pozones hot springs.  It´s a developed hotsprings, but still very nice.  It´s more like a strawberry  park hotsprings in steamboat than a glenwood hotsprings in terms of development.  There are 6 or so pools, that look very natural and are of varying temperature.  They are set down in a little canyon next to a rushing river.

Tomorrow, or shall I see, later this morning, I am taking a bus to Los Angeles, from there I hope to catch a bus to a small village near Parque Nacional Laguna de Laja where I hope to do a trek lasting a few days around Anutco volcano.

No comments: