Friday, February 24, 2012

an extra sad goodbye to Antarctica

From the 12thish to the 16th, I was pretty sick, which really sucked because it was my last week in Antarctica and I just couldn't really participate in all the events at the end. I did manage to make it to work, but during our 3 days off (1 for my normal day off, 1 for transitioning back to days (yes I had to transition back to days while being sick), and 1 for packing), I couldn't really have fun because I was so sick. I finally went to the doctor on the 16th and found out the chills and fever and muscle aches were probably caused by an influenza type virus. Then I also had tonsilitis. I tested negative for strept but the doc figured I had some other type of bacterial infection (or mono), but antibiotics did clear it up. Besides all of those diseases, I think I was suffering from a very bad case of depression. I was so sad to be saying good bye to McMurdo and all the wonderful people. It still makes me sad thinking about it. On the last days some people from shuttles gave me notes and when I read them once I got home, I got a little teary eyed. They were so nice to me, said such kind words. I guess they really appreciated me and it really made me so happy and miss them all the more. Dang, I had such a great time. The most amazing people, the most amazing place. I really wish I could just describe how amazing it was, but there is no possible way. Ahhh, what a place, what people, what unreal amazingness.

My group of friends and I redeployed back to New Zealand on the 17th of February. A huge storm was brewing and on the way, but we got out right before it hit. Originally ATO (my department, shuttles, cargo, and air services--there were 31 of us) had basically got the C-17 as our private jet b/c air services put everyone else on the 757 coming down, but the weather was too bad for the 757 so instead we had 150 or so people on the 17. I was feeling much better, so the flight was good.

We arrived in New Zealand in the dark. First time I had seen outside darkness since I left new zealand. It was also weird to feel humidity, have smell in the air, and other sounds. Kind of strange, but it wasn't as weird to me as it was for others. Elisha didn't find it too strange either. She said it was probably b/c me and her had traveled and moved around so much before that our bodies and senses were more used to it.

We went out for Indian and had some beers by the pool of our hotel. All kind of sad and knowing we were all going to have to say goodbye soon

No comments: