Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Night Before Christmas McMurdo Style

As I mentioned in my previous Christmas post, I would put up my poem I wrote for shuttles. Just a few definitions to help you make more sense of things in case you're not familiar with Antarctica

ECW=extreme cold weather gear (big red parka, wind pants, bunny boots)
Big Red=huge canada down parka that is obviously bright red
ANG=air national guard, the grumpiest people on base who think they're better than everyone
Delta=one of our large passenger vehicles with 4 foot tall wheels. it's articulated
Ivan= our largest passenger vehicle. A terrabus. google Ivan the terrabus if you want to see pictures
DSP=daily schedule planner
The last quote is a common quote heard coming from Shuttle Bill

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
McMURDO SHUTTLES STYLE
By Shuttle Guy

‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through Mactown
The seals weren’t stirring, there wasn’t a sound;
Big reds were hung in the dorms with great care,
So many pockets, St. Nick better bring full flair;
The ANG were nestled all snug in their beds,
While nightmares of Deltas bounced all through their heads;
And mamma in her smartwool, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a restless nighshift’s nap,
When out at DJ there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bunk to see what was the matter.

Away to the galley I flew like a flash,
The nearest window so distant, I thought I would crash.
Midnight sun slowly warming the thick volcanic mud,
Gave the luster of a mining town, not to mention the crud.
When, what to my goggled eyes should appear,
But a miniature Ivan, and eight shuttlers full o’ cheer,
With a little old driver, so lively and shrill,
I knew in a moment it must be Shuttle Bill.
More rapid than skuas his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

“Now Shuttle Spring, Shuttle Matt, Shuttle Queen, and Shuttle Dan!
On, Shuttle Jen, Shuttle Bob, Shuttle Mel, and Shuttle Fran!
To the top of t-site! Up to the golf ball!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all”
As ice crystals that before a condition one do fly,
When they meet with the ice shelf, mount up to the sky,
So up to the dorm-top the shuttlers they flew,
With Ivan full of liquor, and Shuttle Bill too.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The dancing and singing of each shuttle goof.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Through the galley dock came Shuttle Bill with a bound.
Getting dressed in ECW was surely a toil,
And his clothes were all tarnished in glycol and oil;
A bundle of bottles he had swaddled in a rag,
And he looked like a fuelie just opening his orange bag.
His eyes—how they twinkled! His dimples how merry!
His nose was frostbitten, his cheeks not too hairy!
His droll little mouth was drawn up in a smirk,
The hat on his head was askew with a quirk.

A VHF radio he held tight in his hand,
Sunglasses on his nose against the harsh light of this land;
He had a broad face, a mop of silver on his head,
That stood straight up like he had just rolled out of bed.
He was witty and quick, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A funny quote there, a wild story here,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to fear;
He checked the DSP, then went straight to his work,
And filled all the bunny boots; then turned with a jerk.

And keying the mic with the touch of his hand,
He gave a nod and down highway one he ran;
He sprang up to Ivan, to his team gave a beep,
And down wild Plagasus, they drove in a heap.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
“We’re all here til February, we’ll get it done right!”
[Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!”]

No comments: