Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The waiting game...

10/11 Now I know I am on a real expedition. Sitting in Kathmandu (as opposed to base camp, though I would much rather be in base camp in the mountains waiting) waiting out storms. Bad weather has forced the last 3 days of flights to Lukla (the staging areas for the treks to everest, mera, ama dablan, etc) to be cancelled. So spent the whole day at my hotel basically so that my guide could reach me in case they decided to let flights fly. Luckily there were a few decent movies (I love you man) to keep me a bit occupied.
Eric came back this afternoon from Chitwan. He had a good trip. Saw some rhinos and crocs. He wasn't expecting me to be there, so he was happy to see me

10/12 Flights to Lukla were flying! So we headed to the airport. Problem was the flights are always booked up and there had been a 3 day back up, so the tiny airport (complete with troops of wild monkeys roaming through the waiting room) was just one huge mess. Things weren't helped by the fact that one of the first flights had a minor crash. Landed a bit hard and the nose of the airplane rebounded onto the tarmac, so that that stopped flights for a couple hours. And there is only a narrow window of time that the flights can go with the weather, so no many got out. This meant we sat on the floor of the airport for the entire day in total chaos waiting for flights. I met the other two people I am trekking with. A nice couple living in Argentina, Collin and Andrea, though Collin is a kiwi and a mineral exploration geologist. They have climbed several 6000m peaks including Aconcagua, so they seem quite competant. Problem is that they have only one more day to spare before they will be too late for their flight to Delhi. So I don't know what happens if that happens. So I pray that tomorrow the flights go out and we get one one. You can pay an extra 300 per person to take a fancy chopper, but that is too steep for me.

Interesting blurb on Lukla airport considered one of the most dangerous in the world. http://www.jaunted.com/story/2007/1/22/163551/923/travel/World%27s+Most+Dangerous+Airports%3A+Lukla+Airport,+Nepal,+LUA


Recent addition of the world is small place:
When I worked at the health club, there was an older guy doing strange leg and knee strengthening exercises. I overheard him mention once about the himalayas and an expedition, but the time of day he came in I was usually busy so didn't talk to him. Well I saw this guy the other day walking with this strange walk that I remembered. Ran up to him and asked if he was from Estes Park, he smiled and pointed to my shirt (I was of course wearing my Rocky Mountain Athletic club shirt). Turns how he's climbing the same mountain as me and then doing a 7000m peak. Think is name was Robert, or perhaps Richard. Kathmandu is the one place I have been where when locals ask where I am from I can say "Colorado" instead of "America" Nepal is quite a popular place for Coloradoans to come on vacation and has many people trying to do the big peaks. Also a lot of the raft and bike guides here know Nepalis who work in Coloardo for part of the season.

No comments: