Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sad goodbye to Prague...arrival in stockholm

7/20 The last day in Prague I kind of chilled around Martin's apartment and did some computer things I needed to do. Then I walked along the bridge and old town once more in the afternoon before meeting up with Martin and Jitka for some real italian pizza and wine. After dinner we headed up this hill where this is a park with a sweet view of the city and a sort of beer garden I guess. Just lots of beer taps around the park where you can go and get your cup filled. We drank a whole bunch up there until it got dark and then played some frisbee in the park before heading home.

One of the interesting things about the czech republic is when I say i'm from colorado, they all immediately mention the colorado avalanche. They're hockey crazy in the czech. rep. Most other europeans when i say i'm from colorado think mountains or incorrectly, grand canyon b/c of the river. The asians, if they knew, all though of john denver and rocky mountain high.
Something interesting, they told me that in the czech rep, average marrying age is above 30 and they don't do the whole fancy proposal thing. Usually it's the girl and she just kind of mentions that it's time to get married and so they do. I thought that was funny.
Met another gal who studied in a small town in wisconsin. Crazy how many have studied in the US.

7/21 Took the metro to the airport and then flew from Prague to Nyopking, Sweden and then took the bus to Stockholm. Checked into my really sweet hostel and the walked around exploring stockholm a bit. To me it's not quite as nice as prague. The nice thing about it though is that it has all these interconnected islands and of course the ocean and boats all around. But it's much more modern. And boy oh boy is it expensive. An example is that the my like 20 stop metro ride plus 6 stop bus ride from prague to the airport cost me 1.50. My 3 stop metro ride here cost me 6 bucks. The cheapest burger in mcdonalds is 8.50 (no dollar menu here!( A 6 inch, sub at subway is 7 dollars (no 5 dollar footlong( and things like a liter of bottled water is 3 bucks. Haven't even checked for a price of beer yet. I usually go shopping in grocery stores when I am in europe to save money and i went into one and it was so incredibly expensive too as was 7-11, but then i realized it was some sort of co-op or organice store or something b/c i found a better store with much nicer prices. But still one pound of bananas for example was 1.50 and a loaf of plain white bread was 4 bucks. But i found some good spaghetti and sauce so i will be cooking that tonight at my hostel.
It's interesting b/c this has been the first european country i have been to where they drive big cars. I'd say 75 percent of the cars are wagons...saab wagons, volvo wagons, bmw wagons, and even a few bmw wagons. And there are even some american big dodge trucks and some old boat cars. Pretty funny to see on the still european styled streets.
It's 10 oclock here now, but still light. crazy scandinavia. I guess being so close to the arctic circle.
Of course my dad would like it here with all the tall blonde swedish ladies and the nice weather and cool breeze.
Tomorrow I will be spending the whole day out sightseeing before catching an evening bus to sundsvall to meet kim, clare, and frida. Can't wait!

No comments: