Saturday, September 19, 2009

Surf's up in Bali

The next day in Bali I did some just hanging out in the morning and then surfed in the afternoon. Took an hour of advanced surf lessons then surfed til sunset. I'm starting to pick it up pretty well. By no stretch of the imagination am I good, but am finding it easy to catch the wave and get up. After the hard afternoon of surfing relaxed with a nice balinese massage.

The following day, Tom and I took a tour of bali with wayan. It was a great tour as wayan was an awesome guy and it was only us booking the tour so we had the car to ourselves and could stop whenever we wanted. First visited the large Mengwi temple. Then drove up for some great views of lake buyan and lake tamblingan. From near there we walked to the gorgeous Munduk waterfall. After this we visited the ulun danu water temple on lake bratan which was pretty magnificent sitting out there on this crater lake. From here we went to a market full of fresh fruit of all colors, shapes, and sizes. Both Tom and Wayan were impressed with my bargaining skills. Mangosteens started out at 8 dollars per kilo (this was a place tourists are brought) and I got it down to 2 dollars per kilo, the same price wayans wife would pay if she were shopping a more traditional market. But what can I say, after being in asia for so long, I better get good. After stocking up on fruit, we had a delicious buffet lunch at a restaurant overlooking the rice terraces which I had, with my bargaining power, got thrown into the tour for free. After lunch we stopped at and walked along two amazing rice terrace viewpoints: pacung and jatiluwih (the best one). We then made it down to Tanah lot temple, a temple built on an island in the ocean for a nice sunset.
Crazy as this is, that night, I ran into martin and lucus (the czechs) at our hotel. And of course, when in rome...so we went out for some clubbing and dancing and bintang beers that night. I ended up dancing the night away but Tom at some point passed me the hotel keys and went home with a prostitute. Guess, if he wants a prostitute, that's his thing, but what I wasn't impressed with was that he's the same guy who has been saying he is cutting his year long trip short to 6 months because he misses his girlfriend. I'm really not a big fan of cheaters. But whatever, I was leaving that next day for ubud anyways.
Took the 4pm bus to Ubud on Friday. Spent my last 1/2 day in Kuta walking around some more and then hanging out and walking along the beach and finishing up with another nice massage

No comments: