Friday, January 9, 2009

Dark Side of the moon

Made it back into bangkok this morning. It was much, much better this time! Maybe b/c I was sightseeing and not running tons of errands. All I really had to do was change thai baht to 1000 us dollars for myanmar since they don't take baht or any other currency. Since I wasn't way out in the boonies trying to get things done I found transport much easier and cheaper. Came in on the bus and took a public bus to the skytram and that to the subway to get to the train station where I had some stuff being stored and some mail to pick up. Thanks mom and thanks guys at work for the christmas presents and care packages. Then I headed out to explore the city. It was much nicer this time as I was more relaxed and in tune with what was going on. Walked to the large river and took the river ferry up to the old city. It's pretty cool going along the river and checking out the city. Then walked to a couple sites....the golden mount and the democracy monmument and a couple forts. And then just kind of explored the back city streets a bit. I still can't believe how much food is always available on the streets! It's crazy. Then I took a canal longboat around a bit. This is definitely no venice or amsterdam canal trip. As the lonely planet says, this is true bangkok and to be prepared. Back in the day the canals used to be the main form of transportation as the pedaled trickshaws and horse and human drawn carts were slower. Now they're still pretty good b/c of the horrendous traffic. But the canals are incredibly polluted and smelly. And when you get on you hold a tarp up to keep the nasty water from splashing onto you. After the canal ride I hopped aboard the sky tram again and headed to a cool bridge to watch the sunset. I ran across a catholic church today and I'm going to see if I can make mass, but it might be cutting it close to catching my bus that leaves for the airport. The bus is nice, it's about 9 bucks cheaper than a cab, though 1.5 hours longer. I'll just be sleeping in the airport tonight b/c of the early flight and it saves on lodging too.

So I'm off to Yangon, myanmar tomorrow. Several people have asked, including my mom, why go there? B/c as the news tends to point out its had its uprisings and violence and of course their junta millitary gov't is quite bad. But, right now it's safe in all areas except the very northeast border which I obviously won't go to. And everyone I have talked to who has done extensive travel in Asia says that myanmar is by far their favorite place in asia. They say it's like stepping back in time 50 years. All those old travellers from the old hippy and backpacker trails through thailand who complain about how touristy and overrun thailand has gotten, say that myanmar is like how thailand was in the 60's. Still very authentic asia, not one that acts just like the western world, empty beaches, friendly people, etc, etc. A lot like the asia that people dream about or think of due to movies. So I'm very excited about that. It's rare to get a chance to see a country or culture before it is "spoiled" by western culture descending upon it.

Of course with the crazy millitant government that is running it and that has kept it from becoming more western, there will be some big differences from thailand. They don't allow any news from the western world, so no radio or tv from them, also most .com websites are blocked (where they have internet) especially ones related to news (even ESPN.com I read!). Apparently only 2 cities even have internet and you're unlikely as a westerner to be able to access it accept in yangon. They have what is called marshall law and often time a strict curfew is enforced for 7pm. And apparently they'll light up brilliantly all of the government buildings and the towns that do have electricity are shut off from electricity. Of course a lot of them just don't have electricity anyways, or a generator. So it should be interesting.

Anyways, tomorrow I leave for the darkside of the moon, so you likely won't be hearing from me for a while. If I get a chance I will definitely make sure mom knows I'm ok. My flight back to bangkok is scheduled for the 31st of january, though I would still have 8 days left on my visa, so if I'm really loving it I could change my flight for 8 days later.

Auf Wiedersehen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have fun in Myanmar bro!

Anonymous said...

Have fun Travis!!!!!